Finally, the Iceland team has also successfully managed to reach in the World Cup 2018 finishing lower in their group. In the beginning, this team was quite in hurry, but then they made their attitude a bit professional and mature in order to minimizing their mistakes since they made an appearance in the Euro Cup 2016. During their Euro 2016 journey, they were unbeaten throughout the event, but they lost a match against France in quarter final. Iceland played 10 matches and won 7 out of them including their at home games.
After getting rid of Euro 2016, they had a normal schedule in September 2017 where they lost a game against Finland by 1-0. While they made a recover in the next month of same year by beating Turkey away home.
Heimir Hallgrimsson – Iceland Coach – World Cup 2018
Qualified team for the World Cup, Iceland will be playing the mega event under coaching of Heimir Hallgrimsson. He has don a great job in his career as coach, providing his services to Lars Lagerback as assistant, but now he made progress too. Iceland had two mutual managers in form of Heimir and Lagerback, but being failed in qualifying the World Cup 2014, the Icelanders higher officials gave the coaching solely to Hallgrimsson.
Iceland World Cup 2018 Friendlies – Schedule
Iceland played against Indonesia during World Cup friendlies on 14th January, 2018 which they won by 4-1. They also played against Mexico and Per on 24 and 2th March, 2018 which ended as Draw in result. Now they would face Norway on 2nd June, 2018.
- 14th January – Iceland vs Indonesia (won 4-1)
- 24th March – Mexico vs Iceland
- 28th March – Peru vs Iceland
- 2nd June – Iceland vs Norway
Iceland World Cup 2018 Schedule& Fixtures
Being the member of Group D, Iceland would face some of the toughest teams like Argentina, Nigeria and Croatia respectively on 16th, 22nd and 26th June, 2018.
- 16th June – Argentina vs Iceland
- 22nd june – Nigeria vs Iceland
- 26th June – Croatia vs Iceland
Iceland Squad World Cup 2018 – Official Lineups
This team is having few of the dangerous players in their attacking and midfield. Gylfi Sigurdsson is added in the squad and probably he had to as he finished as top goal scorer in the World Cup qualifying campaign. While on the other side, Iceland team would be captained by Aron Einar Gunnarsson and he will be staying in the midfield position.
- Goalkeepers – Hannes Halldorsson, Runar Runarsson, Frederik Schram
- Defenders – Karl Arnason, Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson, Jon Fjoluson, Sverrir Ingi Ingson, Hordur Magnusson, Birkir Saevarsson, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Ari Skulason
- Midfielders – Birkir Bjarnason, Theodor Bjarnason, Rurik Gislason, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Aron Gunnarsson, Emil Hallfredsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Olafur Skulason
- Forwards – Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Alfred Finnbogason, Albert Gudmundsson, Bjorn Bergmann Sigudarson
Like many players from different teams, the Icelander forward player Kolbeinn Sigthorsson won’t be able to play for his team in the World Cup due to his knee injury that he got back in September 2016.
Karl Arnason, Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson and Jon Fjluson will be staying in the defense. On the other side, Birkir Bjarnson and Theodor Bjarnason will be staying in the midfield along with Rurik Gislason and Johann.